Tomorrow’s innovators practice imaginative thinking and teamwork. Guided by adult Coaches, FIRST LEGO League teams research a real-world problem such as food safety, recycling, energy, etc., and are challenged to develop a solution. They also must design, build, program a robot using LEGO MINDSTORMS® technology, then compete on a table-top playing field.
It all adds up to tons of fun while they learn to apply science, technology, engineering, and math concepts (STEM), plus a big dose of imagination, to solve a problem. Along their discovery journey, they develop critical thinking and team-building skills, basic STEM applications, and even presentation skills, as they must present their solutions with a dash of creativity to judges. They also practice the Program’s signature Core Values.
Proven, verifiable impact!
The positive impact FIRST LEGO League has on participants is gratifying and well documented. Over 88% are more interested in doing well in school, and 87% have more interest in attending college.
FIRST LEGO League teams get to:
– Research challenges facing today’s scientists
– Design, build, test and program robots using LEGO® MINDSTORMS® technology
– Apply real-world math and science concepts
– Learn critical thinking, team-building, and presentation skills
– Participate in tournaments and celebrations
– Understand and practice Gracious Professionalism®
The FIRST LEGO League Core Values are the cornerstones of the program. They are among the fundamental elements that distinguish FIRST LEGO League from other programs of its kind. By embracing the Core Values, participants learn that friendly competition and mutual gain are not separate goals, and that helping one another is the foundation of teamwork.
– We are a team.
– We do the work to find solutions with guidance from our coaches and mentors.
– We know our coaches and mentors don’t have all the answers; we learn together.
– We honor the spirit of friendly competition.
– What we discover is more important than what we win.
– We share our experiences with others.
– We display Gracious Professionalism® and Coopertition® in everything we do.
– We have FUN!
Unscramble the secret word : KAWMORET
In 1998, FIRST Founder Dean Kamen and the owner of the LEGO Group Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen joined forces to create FIRST LEGO League, a powerful program that engages children in playful and meaningful learning while helping them discover the fun in science and technology through the FIRST LEGO League experience.
Dean and Kjeld have a shared belief that FIRST LEGO League inspires teams to research, build, and experiment, and by doing so, they live the entire process of creating ideas, solving problems, and overcoming obstacles, while gaining confidence in their abilities to positively use technology.